Kersten is specialised in bending sections and plates in 3D and spiral bending. Bending in multi radii requires advanced bending machinery, special tooling and a well trained and experienced operator. A 3D bent profile does not only have a radius, but also a gradient.
3D bending could be applicable to:
- Rectangular and square hollow sections
- Flat bars
The ideal bending method depends on the material and dimensions of the product plus the required radius and gradient. It is recommended to contact a bending specialist. The specialists at Kersten are happy to advise you about the possibilities of 3D bending.
The 3D bending technique is used for many different applications:
Contemporary architecture is often characterized by a 3D curved design. Steel, stainless steel and aluminium can be 3D bent by the latest technology. 3D bending technology allows us to bring an artist’s vision to reality.
Roller coaster tracks
Without a doubt, 3D bent parts are crucial for roller coaster tracks. Steel roller coaster tracks consist of a pair of long 3D bent steel tubes. These tubes are often supported by a larger 3D bent tube, a so called back bone.
Curved, spiral and helical stairs have a 3D bent construction and idem handrails.
Several machinery parts are 3D bent. For example; mixer blades for industrial mixers to be used in the food industry.
Some 3D bent references:
- Walkable roller coaster - Tiger and Turtle, Düsseldorf (DE)
- Art object – Maasoevers, Rotterdam (NL)
- Station canopy - HSE, The Hague (NL)
- Carioca Wave - Rio de Janeiro (BRA)
- 3D shaped canopy - Al Noor Butterfly Pavilion, Sharjah (UAE)
- Amphitheater canopy - Mushrif Central Park (Abu Dhabi, UAE)
- Industrial mixer – Food industry